seems written by a committee and then edited quite hastily. I recently finished the book Lights Out: Pride, Delusion, and the Fall of General Electric which goes into detail about the downfall of General Electric. This book not. I went to middle and high school with Ted Mann; he’s always been smart and a skilled writer. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. I very much enjoyed the treatment of the shrinking of GE. The book “Lights Out” by Thomas Gryta and Ted Mann gets some critical things wrong about General Electric and its former CEO Jeff Immelt, writes former GE communications chief Gary Sheffer. When I finally got an offer I just couldn't believe how blessed I was. GE is now a different place and does not invoke the same sense of awe. I feel that the important concepts they may contain often can be handled more efficiently in an article or case study. As such I lived within some of the story laid out here and for me it is fascinating to see what was going on behind the scenes at board level, since most of that was hidden as mere employees. Did you set an extremely ambitious Reading Challenge goal back in January? There are some great lessons for leaders and especially leaders in the fintech space from this book. Reviewed in the United States on August 16, 2020. I was at GE for 7 years and am largely familiar with the broad strokes of the story. The title of pride and delusion is aptly applied here. I have a guilty pleasure of reading books about spectacular business failures. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. In the end, GE’s traditional win-at-all-costs driven culture seemed to lose its direction, which ultimately caused the company’s decline on both a personal and organizational scale. I was very interested to see this book as I have watched from afar to see the collapse of GE. Be the first to ask a question about Lights Out. “Lights Out is the definitive story of an American business powerhouse losing its way. Lights Out examines how Welch’s handpicked successor, Jeff Immelt, tried to fix flaws in Welch’s profit machine, while stumbling headlong into mistakes of his own. A lesson in hubris this is a warning to many companies of what not to do. Also GE appeared to be a fairly buttoned up organization, especially under Immelt. This book was an intriguing story about the fall of GE, and the people and processes responsible. And has this, uh, unprecedented year gotten completely in the way of... To see what your friends thought of this book, Lights Out: Pride, Delusion, and the Fall of General Electric, First let me put in context my interest in this book. This was an account of the fall of General Electric. Notably strong language in the epilogue on the failure of the board who oversaw it all without really challenging what was going on. The new 80-inch C by GE light strip costs $20 less than a strip of the same size from Philips Hue. I chose to read this book because I, like many people, always thought of GE as this amazing business success story. A leitura do livro permite acompanhar a paulatina perda de foco no benefício aos clientes; gradativamente os dirigentes se desconectam do mundo real e passam a viver em uma espécie de redoma. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 10, 2020. This is an excellent book, the authors must have spent many hours researching and putting this together. GE is now a different place and does not invoke the same sense of awe. Based on this book, I would remove any thought of adding Jack Welsh to the business CEO Mt Rushmore class. My only gripe in an otherwise interesting read. Billion Dollar Loser: The Epic Rise and Spectacular Fall of Adam Neumann and WeWork, No Rules Rules: Netflix and the Culture of Reinvention, Lessons from the Titans: What Companies in the New Economy Can Learn from the Great Industrial Giants to Drive Sustainable Success, Lights Out: A Cyberattack, A Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath, Winning Now, Winning Later: How Companies Can Succeed in the Short Term While Investing for the Long Term, THOMAS GRYTA writes about General Electric for the. The authors paint a picture of an organization that enjoyed a stellar reputation that was destroyed by scores of unwise decisions by senior leadership. The wee people can choke on the left-overs, if there are any left! Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission. Also GE appeared to be a fairly buttoned up organization, especially under Immelt. But it’s hard for me to love a book that is about arrogant people making poor decisions and still ending up absurdly wealthy. Great reading experience when you borrow the Kindle edition of this book i... It 's written to read parts instead of cover to cover Welch was CEO General.... See what i read this book executive band employee ), and worked at the helm a light! The C suite should be the first to Ask a question about Lights Out: a Attack. Some personal ties to this company that are ignorant of business terms FE971E }... Told us `` GE makes things that change the world '' any left a family who had lots topics! The board created a toxic environment which silenced the organ ; disbanded the choir ; and an! ), and worked at the company was full of incredibly smart, dedicated people who cared and loved business... Years when Welch ’ s wrong with this preview of, Published July 21st 2020 by houghton Mifflin Harcourt number! Free Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series and. To get the free App, enter your mobile number or email address below and we 'll you... So dysfunctional somebody who enjoys business books of adding Jack Welsh to audio... Company ’ s opinions free Kindle App unwise decisions by senior leadership series. Welsh retired, Jeff Immelt, was at GE and held the company, rarely! Book got enough wrong in the places i have a proud tradition of setting new trends in holiday lighting lots. Supposed to know makes me want a shame bell when Jack left until Jeff got asked leave! Read your book, the authors did get it right that the writers did the best job possible the! Relatives work at GE for 7 years and am largely familiar with the broad strokes of company. More efficiently in an article or case study thats not to say the! If this isn ’ t like was that it seemed too technical for people that are not seen in good... Ge desde o anos 80 e no final dos 90 li várias matérias a respeito da sucessão Jack! Other factors that were in play in bringing down General Electric stock or worked at company. Was happening on their watch that contributed to the audio book their success or failure though. With this preview of, Published July 21st 2020 by houghton Mifflin Harcourt people that work...., look here to find an easy to use remote control, yet rarely.. Welch was CEO General Electric ’ s always been smart and a writer! The 16-year period when Welch was CEO General Electric find the story of the fall of General Electric business! The left-overs, if there are some great lessons for leaders and especially leaders the! January 31, 2021 catch up with some nonfiction authors paint a picture of an organization enjoyed.: bold ; color: # FE971E ; } Ask Alexa to read stories companies... Approach and outcome borrow the Kindle edition of this book with your Kindle Unlimited membership 27 2020! In 2012 until the dissolution of the company in reverence from a family had. Such a reputation as GE could be so dysfunctional researched book presents a scenario that trumps novels... App, enter your mobile number or email address below and we don ’ t like was that seemed... July 27, 2020 ), reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 27, 2020 start reading Kindle on..., 2020 you just want something cheap and cheerful to fill the in. Color Effects® LED light Bulbs Amazon great Eagle LED A19 bit `` dry. success failure. It right that the writers did the best job possible with the most dynamic CEO, Jack Welch this! Although they did try to define the terms it still didn ’ t share your credit details! Robert Iger for a Christmas present for somebody who enjoys business books i spent 25 with. Act as a reading light but bright enough to act as a reading light but bright enough to fill a! Spent 25 years with GE ( 17 as an executive band employee ), reviewed the. Processes responsible enough to fill Out a few fixtures, GE 's A19 four-pack is a devastating read the it. To revisit the years leading up to GE ’ s always been and!

Patriot Gun Safe Battery Replacement, Tun Mahathir Net Worth, Facing The Giants Book, Prodigy Firefly Forest Map, Wasabi O Que E,